Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Direct data and derived data: chance for a dat

From: Nicolás Ortega Froysa
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Direct data and derived data: chance for a data GPL?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 11:41:55 +0200

I think you miss a certain point here. Firstly, he mentioned that these
laws could have an exception for when the company gives their users a
certain benefit from allowing them to do something with this information
of theirs. But also, what kind of people we are trying to protect with
these laws.

When it comes to social laws that are put in place, they're put in place
to protect the weaker members of society, people who perhaps don't
understand the full consequences of their actions. In terms of
technology, these people are the youth and the elderly. It makes sense
that a grown adult shouldn't be on a platform like Facebook if he's
concerned about his privacy, but neither a kid nor an elderly person
understands the ramifications of this. I have two grandparents who use a
lot of these technologies, not because they made the choice on their
own, but because they were told to by their children. They don't have an
education, so they don't understand anything, they just use it. There
are also kids who use the platform before they are even supposed to
based on the platform's own policy. In these cases, I would be in favor
of creating a law defending the rights of these individuals. One example
could be making it illegal to use the data of minors (while at the same
time not providing an incentive for them to give a false age, so the
company can mine their data).

It's also a matter of being given the choice. In many cases our choice
is "use the platform and lose your privacy, or don't use it". This
choice is very limiting, since in many cases we are forced to use a
platform for a variety of reasons (workplace, family pressure, only
means of communication in a given context, etc.). One should always be
given the option to use the platform without losing your privacy. I also
don't think that this option should require any more payment than the
other one, since this would be a form of income discrimination by which
the poorer users are more likely to sell off their privacy to use the
platform. Essentially, losing one's privacy should not receive discounts
in the price of the service.