Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Purism is not free hardware

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Purism is not free hardware
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 12:41:59 +0100

Henry Jensen <hjensen@gmx.de> writes:

> Am Fri, 09 Mar 2018 01:33:12 +0100
> schrieb John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org>:
>
>> "Taiidan@gmx.com" <Taiidan@gmx.com> writes:
>>
>> > Again I still can't understand as to why purism gets so much air
>> > time on the FSF website and the tech news media yet legitimately
>> > libre hardware gets none.
>>

>> > "PureOS" is simply a debian clone used to peddle non-free laptops
>> > and now purism has obtained an implied endorsement from the FSF.
>>
>> That is not an accurate description. PureOS is an endorsed
>> distribution because it has committed to upholding the Guidelines for
>> Free System Distribution. It made a number of important changes from
>> Debian in order to achieve that.
>
> PureOS uses the same Linux kernel as Debian (i.e. not Linux-Libre),
> which some people regard as a bug, because log messages like this
> appear:
>
> iwlwifi: 0000:03:00.0 firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode
>
> which indicates, that the kernel is looking for a non-free firmware
> blob. By reading this message in the log file a user could learn about
> it and be tempted to install this non-free software.

Yes, we have been revisiting this question and will publish our analysis
soon on the mailing list you linked to..

(For everyone's understanding, the nonfree firmware is not present on
the system; it is an issue of potentially recommending/suggesting.)

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.