Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is disroot ok?

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is disroot ok?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:07:55 -0600

G. Sebastián Pedersen wrote:
Since the radical change in openmailbox.org I've been searching for
new alternatives on email+cloud.

I came up with https://disroot.org

So I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice or opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cloud" (that's part of the problem with that term); as far as I know "cloud" computing refers to doing one's computing on someone else's computer (obviously inherently unrecommendable) so I'll limit my comments to talking about email.

disroot.org doesn't look to be remarkably different from any other email hosting provider so long as you avoid using POP3 and keep the total size of your mailbox under 2GB (what https://disroot.org/services/email says is the size limit).

Use encrypted IMAP for reading mail, encrypt and sign outbound mail with GPG, and use an encrypted connection to their SMTP server for sending mail, and you'll do about as well as anyone can expect to do with email. Webmail interface probably requires Javascript which makes it easy for the server side to get you to run nonfree software or run malware.

I don't know how disroot.org's prices compare to other hosters (I didn't look that far into their website) but you should consider getting your own domain name so that your email address(es) don't change, even if you switch hosters. I didn't notice disroot.org offering domain names so if you go with disroot.org and you want your own domain name you may have to get the domain name somewhere else.

Dreamhost.com might have a better deal for you for email hosting because (I think) Dreamhost offers a higher email quota and optional "+" offsets (for instance: username+string@yourdomain where you use your username, optionally add a "+string" to the end of it to help you identify how people got your address or for filtering inbound email), and optional server-side filtering (more simplistic than it used to be years ago but still useful enough to do what most novices want to do most of the time like moving inbound email to a folder). Dreamhost.com also sells domain names and offers a JS-based webmail.