Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping newcomers start blogs - but where?

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping newcomers start blogs - but where?
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:02:04 -0300

Interesting view...

I wonder however, how to deal with cases where the site
visitor/guest/client doesn't have any script blocker or scanner enabled?
Surely he'll fall into the JavaScript trap... and it's in this situation
that the problem is. You and I both have either GNU LibreJS or NoScript,
but we can't assume that everyone else has either one of these because
most browsers don't come with these by default, and I'm also talking
about web browsers for mobile devices.

Also, regarding GNU LibreJS, like any human made thing, it also isn't
perfect, but there are some points to consider:

- At least in the case of Blogger: Just because GNU LibreJS doesn't
  recognize the licensing markup advised in its documentation, this
  doesn't mean Blogger can simply skip doing the licensing markup in the
  way advised by GNU LibreJS documentation. Visiting a "Blogger blog" I
  see that Blogger simply doesn't attempt to license most of the scripts
  that are both inside the HTML page ("script" elements and other
  scripting elements per the HTML standards) and in JS scripts.

- From the past consulting I gave to people about freeing their JS, I
  noticed something very strange: People often seem to forget that
  DOM/HTML/JS events handlers/listeners are scripting elements. GNU
  LibreJS knows this, but web developers seem to forget. :)

Having said all that, I do agree that any client-side website scripting
is a plague that must be avoided. But if there is such a thing in a
given website, then it ought to be either free/libre and clearly marked
as such to the visitor/guest/user, or entirely removed from the website.