Re: [libreplanet-discuss] UTF-8 banned from being default in Chrome, Fir

From: François Téchené
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] UTF-8 banned from being default in Chrome, Firefox
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 11:09:30 +0200

On 08/20/2017 01:05 AM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> Nominal Animal wrote:
>> We've lost another freedom, choosing the default character set encoding
>> in Firefox and Chrome/Chromium browsers.
>
> That sounds like upstream developers are making something you want more
> inconvenient. We should distinguish between what's going on with Firefox
> (a free software browser) and Chrome (a nonfree browser).
>
> Users aren't losing freedoms either way: Firefox remains editable (as
> you say in your post) and Chrome users never had software freedom with
> Chrome (so they can't lose what they never had).

I join J.B.'s point on this.

You cannot lose freedom just because the software developers decided to
drop a feature. This being inconvenient has nothing to do with software
freedom. When a free software is missing a feature, anyone is free to
modify it's code to implement this feature.

If not already done, just drop an issue on the Firefox bugs tracker.

If this feature loss is annoying too many users there may be a patch for
it in future releases... or even an (hopefully free) add-on.