Re: [libreplanet-discuss] UTF-8 banned from being default in Chrome, Fir

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] UTF-8 banned from being default in Chrome, Firefox
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 18:05:15 -0500

Nominal Animal wrote:
We've lost another freedom, choosing the default character set encoding
in Firefox and Chrome/Chromium browsers.

That sounds like upstream developers are making something you want more inconvenient. We should distinguish between what's going on with Firefox (a free software browser) and Chrome (a nonfree browser).

Users aren't losing freedoms either way: Firefox remains editable (as you say in your post) and Chrome users never had software freedom with Chrome (so they can't lose what they never had).