Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping newcomers start blogs - but where?

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping newcomers start blogs - but where?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:24:34 +0200

On 17/08/17 20:17, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 07:52:51PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> blogger.com and wordpress are well known platforms for people to create
>> free blogs.  Github pages have also become popular with developers recently.
>>
>> What are the recommended alternatives for people who want to adhere to a
>> more free / libre approach?
>>
>> In particular, I'm looking for solutions I can recommend to students
>> getting into Outreachy and GSoC.  They often have a lot of things to
>> think about at the start of their project and need to start blogging
>> quite quickly.
>>
>> For now, I'm tempted to recommend github pages with Jekyll static
>> content generation because at least the git repository (and full
>> history) behind these sites can be easily migrated to any other hosting
>> platform.  Are there other alternatives people recommend?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Daniel
> I love ikiwiki, and there is branchable [1].
>
> [1] https://www.branchable.com/

The fees there - $9.99 per month - are actually quite expensive in some
of the countries where we attract students and interns

I'm going to a hackathon event this weekend where there will be 25
students and it would be great if all 25 start a blog but if they need
to get out their credit card, I suspect some will be reluctant to try it.

Are there similar options without cost?

Regards,

Daniel