[libreplanet-discuss] resources about mailing lists vs. forums (e.g. Dis

From: Daniel Pocock
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 10:21:09 +0200

I've seen various communities having debates about whether to adopt
Discourse of similar forum software instead of a mailing list.

Has anybody already prepared any objective wiki pages or blogs comparing
mailing lists to forums and itemising each of the issues to be considered?

Rather than repeating the same discussions in many places, it would be
useful to link to something that covers it comprehensively.

With Discourse in particular, each time it comes up somebody comments
that it has a "Mailing list mode" option in the settings and suggesting
it is a drop-in replacement for a mailing list.  In practice, I've
observed that the mailing list mode is better than what other forums
offer but I feel it is somewhere between alpha and beta quality when
compared to established mailing list software.  If the developers really
wanted to they could make it a full replacement for mailing lists but
that doesn't appear to be a priority for them.

Regards,

Daniel