Re: [libreplanet-discuss] cataloguing free software events globally and

From: Fabián Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] cataloguing free software events globally and locally
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 16:59:08 -0400

On 2017-06-27 16:19, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> One of the biggest concerns people have about leaving platforms like
> Facebook and Meetup is that they fear they will miss out on events.  I
> just put up another blog[1] about this topic in fact.
>
> What tools do we have for sharing data about events in other ways? [...]

Hi Daniel, all,

For the Quebec province in Canada we have this:

http://agendadulibre.qc.ca (source here:
https://gitlab.com/facil/agenda-libre-quebec)

The support for RSS, XML, Webcal, etc. is really impressive IMO, take a
look at http://agendadulibre.qc.ca/pages/filter or atthe bottom of any
calendar page ("This calendar in..."). I also like the OpenStreetMap
integration.

It was initially programmed in Python by Pierre-Luc Beaudoin, copying
the UI of an existing French site in 2009. The domain and hosting (for
Quebec's instance) are now managed by FACIL (http://facil.qc.ca) since
2013 and since July last year the data was migrated and now it uses the
same source code (including contributing back) as the initial French
application.

You will notice country-specific links of locally-hosted instances at
the top right of the page. I believe it's fully localized in English so
nothing should stop anyone interested from using it for their
organization/region. All dev / discussion seems to happen in French but
I believe you could ask questions or file bug requests in English
(specially on the Quebec bug tracker), perhaps contact the current
active members and ask.

It took a LOT of convincing and advocacy, showing up at many local
events in person to let people know about it and convince them of the
absolute necessity to add their events to it. There are 4-5 moderators
to quickly accept events following a strict list of criteria, and edit /
reformat or get the proper information when needed.

Competing with Facebook and other similar services is a bug challenge,
on some occasions I know most organizations will still use such services
but most if not all submit their events to the AdL.

A few useful links:

- The About page for the current site:
http://agendadulibre.qc.ca/pages/infos

- The project wiki page (including all migration tasks under "Fait"):
https://wiki.facil.qc.ca/view/Comit%c3%a9_FACIL_TI/AgendaDuLibre

- A full changelog of sorts:
http://www.agendadulibre.org/pages/infos#historique

- And of course, the main source code: