Re: [libreplanet-discuss] making open hardware projects feasible

From: Dave Rolek
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] making open hardware projects feasible
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 09:17:40 -0400

On 2017-05-19 04:13 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> [snip]
>
> For any given project, assuming finance is available to build an initial
> order in bulk (e.g. 100 or 1000 units of whatever), how can a project
> take the step into mass production?
>
> Can anybody make any suggestions about:
>
> - is China the way to go?  I frequently hear success stories from
> companies who moved production there and I assume many of the parts
> originate in that region anyway even if a device is assembled elsewhere.
>
> - are there any companies that people have worked with to source things
> like this in China or elsewhere?
>
> - can anybody share any links to any reading material or other advice on
> this topic?
>
> [snip]

I haven't read this book nor much of the available content prior to
purchase, but think it may be helpful to mention...

Andrew "bunnie" Huang recently released The Hardware Hacker through No
Starch Press:
https://www.nostarch.com/hardwarehacker

There is a chapter available gratis prior to purchase, "Inside Three
Very Different Factories":
https://www.nostarch.com/download/HardwareHacker_Ch2.pdf

I suggest you read over the book's summary and table of contents, and
continue with the gratis chapter if it looks good thus far.  Of
particular interest to your inquiry, I'd like to quote from the summary...

"He shares how he navigated the overwhelming world of Chinese factories
to bring chumby, Novena, and Chibitronics to life, covering everything
from creating a Bill of Materials to choosing the factory to best fit
his needs.
[...]
With highly detailed passages on the ins and outs of manufacturing and a
comprehensive take on the issues associated with open source hardware,
The Hardware Hacker is an invaluable resource for aspiring hackers and
makers."

If you haven't heard of the Novena open-hardware laptop, this may be a
useful read:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/portable-devices/novena-a-laptop-with-no-secrets

In looking up The Hardware Hacker, I stumbled upon another of bunnie's
books, which may be also of interest:
https://www.nostarch.com/shenzhen
... and noticed a tiny-bit-cheaper combo deal, should you be interested
in both:
https://www.nostarch.com/bunnie_set

Hope this helps!
dmr