Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Savannah-hackers-public] Help Wanted Site for

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Savannah-hackers-public] Help Wanted Site for Free Software Projects
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 13:38:49 -0600

Hello Nicolás,

Nicolás A. Ortega wrote:
> David Hedlund wrote:
> > I was just talking with RMS about this. I fully support your idea.
> >
> > Can you please add the page /savannah/-/hackers/-public@gnu.org?
>
> I'm confused... "add the page"? Sorry, I just don't understand.

I think the /.../ may have been meant as italics emphasis markup and
that the "page" part was simply language.  David added
savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org to the CC list of the email.  I
believe that was what he was referring to.

For the people on savannah-hackers-public I offer the email archive of
libreplanet-discuss for the past discussion.  The thread starts here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2017-04/msg00003.html

Conceptually I think a site to share "jobs postings" for free software
projects is a good idea.  Savane at Savannah implements a help wanted
page for each Savannah hosted project.  But given that there is a
political tension for some people to want to avoid GNU (for whatever
reason) having something that is slightly further away (not on
Savannah) may be acceptable to them while using Savannah is not.  (For
example Savannah accepts only Free Software projects after a human
review process while GitHub has no such review process.)  Also the
Savane web interface has been suffering from a lack of volunteers for
updates for some time.  Therefore I can see the attraction of setting
up an independent site for this information.

Bob