Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software K-12 schools and colleges

From: Mariah Noelle Villarreal
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software K-12 schools and colleges
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 21:17:07 -0400

Hey everyone,

I'm starting a wiki for Libre Learn Lab, a volunteer community which
addresses freely licensed tools and resources in learning environments (K12
schools, universities, after school programs, etc). As soon as it's ready
(next couple of days), I'll send a link to the list.

This is a bit dense. I apologize to anyone not (yet hopefully) familiar
with all of this, just trying to cover all of the specific bases. I hope
it's clear!

One of the goals is to make a list of learning environments using mostly,
or even more awesomely all, free software with contact information, so we
can then document best practices in getting free software used more widely
in these specific environments.

Other current goals are to:
1. Create resources for caretakers to advocate on behalf of their children
2. Create guides on how to switch from proprietary software x to free
software y (installing, getting started projects with screenshots, video
with narration etc)
3. Create a guide on how to create portfolios of learners work with free
software
4. Document learners experiences using/making/changing/distributing free
software.
5. Recruit education/learning/school community members like caretakers,
teachers/facilitators, students/learners, IT admins, school admins, after
school admins, etc.

Let me know if you're interested in helping out!

- Mariah Noelle
Libre Learn Lab Director
www.librelearnlab.org