Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free and libre tax software

From: Hanno Böck
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free and libre tax software
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 19:52:00 +0100

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 23:59:53 -0400
Greg Knittl <gknittl@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Are there any other free/libre tax calculation engines out there? I
> would think the technical challenges are going to be similar around
> the world. There may be similar political challenges to getting tax
> authorities to open up their interfaces. It would be very helpful to
> have examples of other countries where people do use free/libre tax
> software to submit their returns electronically.

There's a software called geierlein [1] for german tax forms, and there
was an older software called taxbird by the same author. Geierlein is a
rewrite of Taxbird, relies on Javascript and runs as a firefox
application. Both are/were free software.

However geierlein can not be used to submit the main tax forms, only
so-called "Umsatzsteuervoranmeldung". The german tax stuff has
different APIs and only one of them is allowed to be accessible by
third party software. (however since a while there's a fully web based
solution available, so at least no need to have windows any more.)

[1] https://stesie.github.io/geierlein/

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42