Re: [libreplanet-discuss] accessing .xls files

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] accessing .xls files
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 12:01:34 +0100

Hi Catonano,
What do you mean with "access xls files"?
I interpret you question as "How can I open xls files with free software?"
And then my answer would be "Libre Office". But given the elaboration further in your question, I don't think my answer is the answer you're looking for.
So can you clarify?

Regards,

Kees Epema

Thank you for your concern

There are some spreadsheets released by some governmental offices.

They are made of several sheets and each sheet contains mostly numbers and datetimes

I' d like to programmatically read those files, "massage" the data a bit and store the result in a postgresql based database

This could be done in 2 steps. First writing them as csv files, then reding the csv files and store the data in the db.

I just found a perl script that seems to do that.
http://search.cpan.org/~ken/xls2csv-1.06/script/xls2csv

I just have to understand how to package that for GuixSD

But if you are aware of any other option, I' d be eager to know

Thanks again