Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libre software for Berkeley, CA?

From: Felix Posselt
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libre software for Berkeley, CA?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:13:30 +0000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 22:35:22 +0000
ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net> wrote:

> Thomas Lord transcribed 3.6K bytes:
> >
> > Do any readers of this list have experience helping a city,
> > particularly a mid-sized US city, begin to transition from
> > proprietary software systems to libre systems?  If so, I would
> > be grateful to hear your experience and advice.
>
> I think it could be worth it looking into the case of Munich. For the
> FSFE this has been the showcase city case for a long time, still is.

Hey,

Munich isnt much of a showcase anymore.
The current Mayor and his party want to get rid of it and remigrate to
MS Windows
(Right now the Death Sentence hasn't been spoken yet, and the Fsfe is
doing their best).

The thing is, in the 13 years of GNU/Linux in Munich, the IT-Solution
was never satisfying.

Staff and Politicians often complained about Incompatability with
Everyday-Software. Microsoft and Microsoft-Associates often tried to
convince the City to remigrate by presenting cost-analysises.

Politically, the Mayor and the Party that supported Linux aren't the
leaders anymore, so it actually could be replaced by MS-Windows.

Because at the End, GNU/Linux was chosen from a freedom and
independence perspective, and the new Mayor prefers productivity and
convenience, basically an age old MS-GNU/Linux argument.

Felix