[libreplanet-discuss] Can you confirm these are not best practices for d

From: Zak Rogoff
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Can you confirm these are not best practices for disclosure?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:16:28 -0500

Hi LP-discuss,

The W3C, which sets Web standards, just released this

https://www.w3.org/2017/01/GVDP-factsheet.html

in an attempt to pacify all of us who are complaining that their plan to
make DRM part of Web standards would be bad for security researchers.
It's a draft of "best practices" for companies to follow when security
researchers disclose vulns to them.

Is anyone who's knowledgeable about disclosure policies able to take a
look at it and share your thoughts?

To me, it looks like it's not much of a protection for the researchers,
because it's totally voluntary and apparently allows companies to ignore
it if they make such arbitrary judgements as that the security
researcher didn't give them a "reasonable amount of time" between
private and public disclosure.

I think we can take Netflix's policy (linked) to be pretty
representative of the policies these guidelines will produce.

PS -- the LibrePlanet 2017 t-shirt will be launching soon :)

--
Zak Rogoff // Campaigns Manager
Free Software Foundation