Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [GNU-linux-libre] QTWebengine is nonfree

From: Luke
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [GNU-linux-libre] QTWebengine is nonfree
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 03:52:04 +0000

On 01/23/2017 12:00 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > The situation has definitely improved since the last Debian Lintian
>   > report. In the first report there were several thousand files missing
>   > license information.
>   > That is now down to <100 files.
>
>   > Using ungoogled-chromium's combined patches to strip pre-built binaries
>   > and apply privacy fixes would be a minimum requirement in my opinion.
>
> How close is ungoogled-chromium coming to doing what we need?
> What concrete changes remain necessary, to bring it to a point where
> we could use it?

ungoogled-chromium is close, and there is no reason why we shouldn't
start using it right now.
It would be nice to see Debian and others officially adapt this
patch-set as well.

I am still unsure whether or not we will be able to apply the patches to
embedded Chromium (such as QTWebengine), but that would be optimal as well.