[libreplanet-discuss] ownership of software invention

From: Greg Farough
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] ownership of software invention
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:34:46 -0600

Hello, all,

I'm writing with a somewhat specific question. I'm a non-developing
employee of a Missouri software company. In my spare time, I do develop,
though, and am about to release a program of substantial size as free
software. I'm concerned about my employer's finding out about this and
using it to gain "ownership" over the program, seeing as how I wrote it
while under their employ. Is there anything I can do to retain my
copyright so that I can release it as free software, or does my employer
have legal claim over my program?

I appreciate your attention and response,
Greg