Re: [libreplanet-discuss] talos

From: Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] talos
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:00:48 +0000

Regarding peoples "moans":

Small scale, combined with high tech, cutting edge is $$$$$$, meaning
lots and lots of money.

$3.7mill doesnt sound that bad for a new high end arch. i would expect
intel,amd,via to spend at least twice that much and even then i guess im
thinking small, its probably more? idk, just a supission basied on my
understanding from reading lukes posts from the rhombus-tech project
(eoma68).

One can’t compare smaller volume to large volume big brand/OEM like HP.
its really not fair to ask for the same spec, same price when its a lot
smaller scale/quantity’s.

So they raised more than first eoma58 based products crowdfund but
relative to the amount they where asking? whats the ratio? isnt that the
number to make any comparisons by?

for me, i found it most tempting, but i really dont need 128GB ram. 16GB
ram is enough for me. i guess i could have gotten the motherboard...
really wanted a small ready made option or package... hmm arr well i
donated anyway.
for me if i can use it for the next 10years and if its going to save me
money on the electric bill, compared to my current hand down to me, old
pcs then it feels easier to convince the lord of the funds to let me
splash :D

maybe an way for big efforts like talos to succeed is other projects
that start out with smaller financial needs like eoma68 products and
with success as time goes by, money and clout get gained and maybe that
can make for a stepping stone for huge attempts like talos.

but talos was ready to go now.... if only they got the money :)
arr maybe we didn’t promote it enough...? i know i didnt :| i thought it
would be ok...