Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC - "Like GNU" computer refurbish program.

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC - "Like GNU" computer refurbish program.
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 20:46:48 -0600

On Saturday 26 November 2016, Tiberiu wrote:
> Will, I have a few questions for you:
>
> 1. Will you try to get donations of libreboot-supported computers more
> than donations of other computers? And would you consider installing
> libreboot on them?
>
> 2. Most laptops (even libreboot-supported ones) come by default
> preinstalled with internal WiFi cards that require nonfree firmware. If
> not replaced with software-freedom-respecting WiFi cards, WiFi won't
> work in Trisquel and other fully free distros. Will you replace the
> original WiFi cards with cheap WiFi cards (150Mbps will probably do, no
> need for 300/450 Mbps Dual Band) that work with fully free systems?
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thank GNU,
> Tiberiu

Thank you, Tibeiu.  Your observations and advice are exactly what I was
looking for here.  I will write licensing@fsf.org to ask them what they think
and report back.

1.  I would love to supply people with Libreboot but I'm unable to do so right
now and will simply send people to RYF certified vendors.  My experience with
Libiquity has been first rate.

2.  Most of the laptops I've worked with so far have been malicious like that.
I remove those kinds of cards and put them in a bin labled "non free
firmware / no driver."  I will use USB wifi or simply plug them into ethernet
as circumstances allow.