Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Sign petition: No operating system for devices

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Sign petition: No operating system for devices sold in the EU
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 22:44:21 -0200

So far, I have to agree with what other people wrote on this subject.

I once advocated for such requirement (for computer providers and
manufacturers to provide hardware with no software pre-installed), but I
decided not to support it anymore. While it might make things simpler
for free/libre software activists to use these hardware in freedom in
the future, it will as well favor the non-free advocates, because:

a) Manufacturers can make their hardware work with only non-free
software, just like they're doing nowadays.

b) If the ruling would come true, then it wouldn't make a difference as
long as we continue to be "squeezed" by the non-free software advocates
and as long as we have our "rivals of mind share" (you probably know who
I'm talking about) and also as long as we are outnumbered and spread
away from each other to do some real [pacific] protest to make the other
60% of worldwide population wake up for the real importance of
free/libre software (and functional data).

Events like International Day Against DRM (worldwide), LibrePlanet
(mostly in North America), Software Freedom Day (worldwide), GNU Hackers
Meeting, and those related to GNU subprojects and free/libre
distributions (e.g.: GNU Health Conference) are great moments to meet in
person and do some [pacific] protest. Although I have my doubts about
Software Freedom Day because I have seen participants promoting open
source instead (although I saw it too late to actually be able to
comment, since I wasn't subscribed to the mailing list at the time).