Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Dev] EOMA68 and freedom in digital technology

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Dev] EOMA68 and freedom in digital technology
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 11:34:15 +0100

---

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Josh Branning
<lovell.joshyyy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Getting rid of boot0 is not far away:
>
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-sunxi.git;a=tree;f=board/sunxi;h=6419936f8b204d43c146ff5d8c88d1b0484fdcae;hb=refs/heads/next

 i'm not sure why you're referencing this, josh - it

> I'm sure, and there is some evidence that Olimex puts pressure as it is on
> Allwinner to release their code and stop ignoring GPL licensing conditions.

 you'll need to be more specific.

> You say Olimex made a GPL-violation and then basically made the fool of you
> 'in-front of 20,000 people', but they seem otherwise. [1]

 you'll need to reference archive.org to find the conversation.
tsvetan's disdain is very very clear.  and he also, just as clearly,
doesn't actually answer the question.

> According to them, you were complaining that they hadn't released the source
> early enough, because they hadn't written a tutorial of how to build as soon
> as they released the images.

 i don't believe it (but i could be wrong - i often am).  allwinner
hadn't actually released the source of the proprietary boot0
bootloader back then, and things were a total mess.  i've yet to reply
but paul might actually be right about git.rhombus-tech.net because it
might contain (for example) libnand.  i *think* on review of the code
i did go "i ain't frickin well putting *that* in the git repo" but
i'll have to double-check.  it was a long time ago.

> Though I guess it is unclear as to what
> actually happened back then. (lists.gpl-violations.org is down).

 it's permanently offline after the server was hacked.  it won't be restored.

> Either way, it doesn't really matter much, I appreciate what you're doing,
> making another libre computer, and for that I am grateful. I'm also pleased
> you posted the schematics and pcb files as you said you would.

 various parts already were - have been for many years.

l.