Re: [libreplanet-discuss] How to verify a GPL binary - practically?

From: Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] How to verify a GPL binary - practically?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 11:42:33 -0300

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 07:50:30PM -0400, Jamie Hale wrote:
> Forgive me if this has been asked before.
>
> I've purchased a copy of "ethOS", a GNU/Linux distribution that comes
> ready to mine ether, the cryptocurrency that backs the Ethereum network.
> The mining program bundled, ethminer, is distributed GPL.
>
> The distro owner claims that no modifications have been made to
> ethminer, that he compiled from a certain label in a public repo.
> Because of the possibility of backdooring the software and stealing
> private keys, I want to confirm his statement. (Note: I am in no way
> accusing him of doing anything like that! Just performing due diligence!)
>
> ... but I can't think of a way to do it.
>
> It looks like my only option to be safe is to download the same source
> and compile it on my own and *not* use his. And hope it works even
> though it's not the binary he's tested with.
>
> (I can't think of a way to reproduce a binary with the identical hash
> without having access to the original build environment. Too many things
> would have changed.)
>
> Is there another option I've overlooked?

https://reproducible-builds.org/

In the last few years, there has been an effort to provide reproducible
builds inside many distributions. Most of the people involved in the
project are also involved in Debian, but they are pushing this into
other distros as well. I know Holger has given a talk to Fedora people
at Devconf.cz and is going to give a talk at the OpenSuse conference as
well.

Some of the products of this effort include changes to the toolchain
that builds software packages in order to remove some of the
differences, like file ordering when packing and timestamps, some of the
most common problems.

You should build it from source code yourself, using most of the same
dependencies as possible, and try diffoscope, one tool that they have
produced that will try to summarize the changes for you. So instead of
using something like cmp that will only tell you that byte XXXX differs,
it will show you that timestamps differ, but there are no other changes,
for example.

It would be interesting to know the results of your efforts in this
thread.

Regards.
Cascardo.