Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Dev] [GNU-linux-libre] [consensus][due: 2016-

From: Isaac David
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Dev] [GNU-linux-libre] [consensus][due: 2016-06-13]: New version for Parabola Social Contract
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 10:34:10 -0500

Le jeu. 9 juin 2016 à 18:54, Luke <g4jc@openmailbox.org> a écrit :
On 06/09/2016 07:46 PM, André Silva wrote:
On 06/09/2016 08:08 PM, Riley Baird wrote:
What about "Arch (the GNU/Linux distribution)"?
+1 I agree with your suggestion because it solves this issue for the Social Contract.
If FSF and Arch Team is ok with calling it that, I think it is a good compromise. That way people will know it is the GNU/Linux distro named Arch and avoid the entire naming controversy to begin with.

Indeed they use the term "GNU/Linux" to describe their work
in a number of places, including the About page and the
Forums listing. Sadly, they are not consistent about it and
they drop the "GNU" part but not the "Linux" from the actual
name of their distribution. That's the name that gets stuck in
people's heads.

I wouldn't worry about upsetting the Arch developers if
Parabola trimmed down the official name of their distro (lots
of people do) or if Parabola added the a mention to GNU.
I would guess most of them usually pick their terms based on
pragmatism or social inertia. They are not ethically invested
and wouldn't give a lot of thought to our choices anyway.