Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What the free software community needs more th

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What the free software community needs more than programs...
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 10:20:28 -0300

I'm doing a bachelors degree on business/organization
administration/management, and since it's scope is broader, I have
focused more on the following classes: accounting, marketing (not to be
confused with selling), public relations, ethics and philosophy (where
one tries to analyze what is a moral dilemma, and which [im]moral acts
precede ethical dilemmas), economics (which talks about the scarce
resources, not just finance), and socio-environmental management (where
discuss the social and environmental pillars of sustainability).

Most people in the classes I attend don't pay attention to almost all
the classes/subjects that I do. Generally, they stick to accounting,
public relations and marketing. I'm not a genius on all the subjects
described, but I can easily see how free software correlates to all of
them.

Accounting is one of the few classes/subjects that I can correlate free
software both in philosophical and practical sense:

* Philosophical because free software is *not* gratis, contrary to what
most people believe.

** Here we can also make correlations to public relations, because of
the need to raise awareness and counter misinformation.

* Practical because there are free software that can do accounting, like
GNU GnuCash and Tryton (only if this last one isn't proven to be SaaSS).
Now, I'm completely ignoring crippleware in this situation, because I
think it's unfair/unjust to liberate some software just to attract
society to acquire a "commercial"/"premium"/"Pro"/"Plus"
might-be-non-free edition.

Examples of "free software" crippleware (not just limited to
accounting): Nginx, NOLA, Odoo (also known as: OpenERP), OrangeHRM,
VtigerCRM, ProcessMaker.

For more details on the problem of "free software" crippleware, see my
proposal at the Free Software Directory requirements discussion page:

http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory_talk:Requirements

Other than that, I also do basic video editing with Blender, and basic
image editing with GIMP and Inkscape.

I will probably do some videos on how to use some free softwares
(GnuCash; Scribus; GIMP; Inkscape; Blender; GIMP, Scribus and Inkscape
with free-as-in-freedom color profiles and so on), but I'm currently
facing a huge backlog of tasks, specially in regards to organization of
some aspects of the LibrePlanet,org wiki that I have set to myself since
no one is doing them (that place needs maintainers that know how the
Semantic MediaWiki works, so as to allow unified interactions across
groups of different human languages; and also to facilitating workflow
and interaction withe everyone from every language).