Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Apple's iTunes deletes ALL your music files

From: Dave Rolek
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Apple's iTunes deletes ALL your music files
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 20:28:29 -0400

On 05/05/2016 07:36 PM, Pen-Yuan Hsing wrote:
> On 2016-05-05 21:08, Fabio Pesari wrote:
>> On 05/05/2016 08:05 PM, Dave Rolek wrote:
>>>
>>> However, as I suggested in the other subthread, can we build the
>>> list in
>>> a wiki form on the LibrePlanet wiki?  I appreciate the officialness and
>>> collection done by gnu.org, but it's hard for a community member to add
>>> to this list, and I'd love to see a means for the community to
>>> spearhead
>>> the collection of these stories.
>>>
>>> Anyone have further thoughts on this approach?
>>
>> I've always thought that the contents of that page are better suited for
>> a community wiki anyway. It is also the kind of thing that is really
>> harmed by being licensed under a license that allows no derivatives (but
>> we've already been through that multiple times, I'm afraid).
>
> I strongly agree. I believe the FSF's no derivatives license is very
> very unfortunate.
>
> And having it on a wiki better facilitates contributions. I have to to
> libreplanet.org, but I am not familiar with its wiki's structure. From
> the homepage it is not obvious to me where on the site would be good
> place for this topic. And a quick look tells me that all of
> libreplanet.org is under the GNU FDL. Is that correct? I'm willing to
> help but I'm somewhat ignorant of how the libreplanet wiki works!

I noticed the no-derivative licensing, as well, and also find it
unfortunate in this case.  ("This page is licensed under a Creative
Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.")
I can somewhat understand, due to it being a source with a certain
amount of officialness, and while it's not quite clear who wrote it, the
writing style strongly gives the impression of RMS, so it may be
inappropriate to modify to a degree.

However, that's not to say that the FSF (the copyright holder) would be
opposed to an exception here, to form as the basis for the wiki.  (I
obviously can't speak for them)

Fabio, when you say you already went through this multiple times, what
do you mean more specifically?

Pen-Yuan Hsing, I'm also not quite familiar with the GNU FDL; I need to
read up a bit on it.  It's important to note that on the LibrePlanet
wiki, additionally the copyright is assigned to the FSF with a promise
on its usage, and rights are granted back to you.  I presume this is for
enforcement purposes, to make it easier to enforce compliance when a
violation is discovered.
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Copyrights

dmr