Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [GNU-linux-libre] freedom problems in docker

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [GNU-linux-libre] freedom problems in docker
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 19:07:40 -0400

  > "Docker containers wrap up a piece of software in a complete filesystem
  > that contains everything it needs to run: code, runtime, system tools,
  > system libraries – anything you can install on a server. This guarantees
  > that it will always run the same, regardless of the environment it is
  > running in. "

Based the information I've seen posted here, it seems Docker makes an
aggregation of the "piece of software" with the rest of an operating
system.  Just as it is allowed to ship a single GPL-covered program's
executable with Windows, it is allowed to ship that executable with
the Docker system,

That is valid for Docker overall, in principle.  There might be
parts of Docker that are tied more closely to the free program,
which the scope of the GPL might cover,

If someone distributes a GPL-covered executable in a Docker system
and fails to provide the corresponding source code, that would be
a violation as usual.

--
Dr Richard Stallman