Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free After Effects Replacment

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free After Effects Replacment
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 19:55:41 +0200

On 04/07/2016 05:05 PM, mray wrote:
> I'm very interested to hear a word from them, too - but I doubt that
> they exist.

They do exist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_%28software%29#Use_in_the_media_industry

> I think this is backwards. We currently have a quite depressing
> situation concerning motion graphics. There is just *no* replacement for
> AE (not even one that *tries* to imitate it). Blender and Synfig come
> closest to it but really fall into different categories of software.
> Having this gap in Free Software tools is the real limitation.

In my opinion the only reason a lot of people (we're talking
"Youtubers", right?) use After Effects is because they want to be "like
the pros", not because free software isn't good enough (at least in
terms of video editing and post-production; haven't tried Natron for
compositing).

I really would like the opinion of people who are really knowledgeable
about the field, so I'm putting the founder of libregraphicsworld.org in CC.