Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free After Effects Replacment

From: mray
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free After Effects Replacment
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 17:05:34 +0200

On 07.04.2016 13:18, Fabio Pesari wrote:
> On 04/07/2016 09:26 AM, mray wrote:
>> In my eyes you perfectly sum up the current situation in that matter.
>
> Thanks, but I'd really like to hear the opinion of video professionals
> who use free software for their work.

I'm very interested to hear a word from them, too - but I doubt that
they exist.

>> Maybe a short version is: There is no free After Effects. Only workarounds.
>
> I really don't think there should be. Imitating another program is a
> recipe for running into its limitations, without the same budget to work
> around them.

I think this is backwards. We currently have a quite depressing
situation concerning motion graphics. There is just *no* replacement for
AE (not even one that *tries* to imitate it). Blender and Synfig come
closest to it but really fall into different categories of software.
Having this gap in Free Software tools is the real limitation.