Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Proposal for "FUD responses" wiki pages

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Proposal for "FUD responses" wiki pages
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 12:05:18 +0100

On 02/29/2016 11:18 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Very good, but not every person will respond like that

One should be prepared for the worst case scenarios: that includes
taking into consideration emotional, irrational and ignorant arguments.

Those are very common among both professional developers and casual
GNU/Linux users, and it's very easy for people to agree with them
because they feel good and don't require any introspection.

For example, even if it seems downright childish and ridiculous, this is
the most commonly used counter-argument to GNU/Linux:

"But I want to play videogames!"

I still haven't found an answer for that because it's true that most
libre games are crap and decades behind mainstream titles, and
suggesting that freedom is more valuable than entertainment never
convinced any of those people.

We're talking about a society that is eagerly waiting for Oculus Rift (a
Facebook product) to engage in virtual "sex". The problems at the root
of proprietary software adoption are very, very deep, and completely
unrelated to rationality - I would say moral, but I know some people
here don't like that word or its connotations, so I think we can safely
agree that most people want to be comfortable more than they want to be
free, and few give a crap about things like ethics, security and privacy.

> Do you feel that the idea of making up questions like this is useful in
> comparison to just having statements to use as responses?

I think one should imagine every possible response and
counter-response. Right now shutting up a free software supporter is
very easy, as we get easily frustrated by arguments like the ones I
shared before and quit.