Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is there any software that is libre but not gr

From: Mitchell B. Roe
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is there any software that is libre but not gratis?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:11:37 -0500

PartedMagic[0] could be one possible example. The software is, afaik, libre, but the developer has implemented a pay-wall.

[0]: https://partedmagic.com/

On 2016/02/23 20:38, Sam Pablo Kuper wrote:
This is a genuine question. My impression is that the set of software
that is wholly libre but is not available gratis, is an empty set.

However, my knowledge of libre software is limited compared to that of
this mailing list's users.

If you know of any examples of software that are libre but not available
gratis, I would be grateful to know about them.

My impression is that Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), for instance, is
not in that set, because the parts of RHEL that are not available gratis
are also not libre, and so RHEL as a whole is not libre (even though
*most* of its constituent parts are indeed libre).

Thanks!

Sam Pablo Kuper

P.S. In case you are curious why I am asking this, it is because I am
editing a Wikipedia "draft" to offer guidance to Wikipedia editors
writing about software. I am trying to determine whether there is a need
to provide guidance for writing about software that is libre but not gratis.

Here is the current version of the draft. The draft is absolutely a work
in progress. The second row in the table is the relevant one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Draft:Don%27t_call_non-free_software_%22free%22&oldid=706569795#Summary