Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Copyfree

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Copyfree
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:49:58 +0100

On 02/22/2016 11:49 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> Yeah. I'd be curious your thoughts about our page discussing licensing
> issues:
> https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/licenses

I appreciate that you support libre licenses but, if I understood it
correctly, Copyfree ([0]) does not allow copyleft licenses, as well as
permissive licenses which forbid DRM (like the CC BY).

Their site goes as far as saying:

> it is open source and free software, but only the freest of open
> source and free software

While the freedom to restrict others can be considered an additional
freedom, that doesn't mean it should be granted!

In order for all people to be free, some freedoms must be necessarily
restricted: the "freedom" to kill, for example, because if people are
free to kill, the most ruthless and brutal of them will rule over
everybody else.

Copyfree is a "philosophy" which is even more dangerous than open
source, because at least the open source people had enough common sense
to include copyleft licenses. I figured out someone would try to
outright ban copyleft at some point but banning licenses which include
anti-DRM clauses is truly one of the lowliest things I have ever seen!

And don't think I can't predict the counter arguments: that this is the
purest and noblest form of libertarianism, that this is a step toward
copyright abolition, and so on.

But in my humble opinion, their initiative is misanthropic and
unethical. I would honestly not associate with them in any shape or
form, and I am very disappointed you welcomed their founder into your
steering committee.

I put Richard Stallman in CC, hopefully he'll provide us with some insights.

[0]: http://copyfree.org/standard/rejected