Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is there any software that is libre but not gr

From: Isaac David
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is there any software that is libre but not gratis?
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 21:58:17 -0600

Hi there Sam,

As a matter of fact all free (libre) software is subject to the possibility of
being copied and distributed gratis; digital information is intrinsically so easy
to copy and computers and computer networks make the costs of
production and distribution almost nonexistent. Among doing other
things, free software eliminates an artificial scarcity imposed on software
by legal and technical mechanisms.

Having said that, there's still a cost associated with producing the original
program and its changes. Nothing prevents free software developers from
refusing to release their original products unless given a monetary value
in exchange. In this sense selling free software is no different from selling
proprietary software. I think you could find plenty of examples that fit this
scenario. Just some weeks ago people on this maling list were discussing
the possibilities and issues with paying for proprietary software to be
relicensed as free, and I think Blender came up as a prominent example.

Finally, although free software can't guarantee that users will pay for copies
to the same extent proprietary software can, some free software developers
have emulated this unnatural business model and I can give a few examples:

* Back when Internet connections were slower and costly, the FSF sold copies
of popular GNU programs that went distributed on a physical medium.
* Minitube is a free desktop client for Youtube which for a very long time only
offered Windows and MacOSX users the option to buy binaries (or compile them
themselves). I'm seeing Minitibue runs both gratis and sold binaries in parallel
now, but I remember meeting OSX and Windows users who asked for "cracks"
and "open source software" alternatives to Minitube. Absolutely hilarious!
* Ardour charges for all binaries distributed through their website.
* I've seen free software Android applications like Mupen64Plus (based on
Mupen) doing fine selling copies in the nasty Google Playstore.

I'm liking the shape your draft is taking. It's a shot of fresh air in light of
Wikipedia's COMMONNAME policy commonly crippling correct terminology.
Is that table supposed to be near-exhaustive or only a hint? If the former is
the case, may I suggest the following:

* Adding "libre [software]" to the cell (libre=yes, gratis=yes, acceptable=yes).
   Regardless of commercial status, "libre" and "Free Software" are always
   acceptable for libre/free software. I understand that free software is easily
   confused with gratis software in the English language, however in the free
   software community the term has always referred to freedom, not price; and
   you won't find the unintended meaning worthy of a Wikipedia article. I think
   you also agreed to this interpretation when you correctly added "free" and
   "free software" to (libre=no, gratis=yes, acceptable=no).
* Removing "free", "free software" and never adding "libre [software]" to the
  cell (libre=yes, gratis=no, acceptable=no) for the previous point's reason. This
  could perfectly be replaced with whatever you have added to
  (libre=yes, gratis=yes, acceptable=no).
* Adding "freeware" to (libre=yes, gratis=yes, acceptable=no) and
  (libre=yes, gratis=no, acceptable=no) and (libre=no, gratis=yes, acceptable=yes).
  Although prone to misassociation with free software because of their close
  phonology and writing, freeware is the very description of software that is
  proprietary and gratis. Once again you can attest my interpretation reading the
  relevant Wikipedia article.

Oh, by the way, "free/libre" as used in the free software movement is
interchangeable 99% of the time with "open" as used in the Open Source
definition. None of those definitions cares whether a piece of software is
gratis or commercial, although the whole idea behind open source was to make
free software more appealing to commercial settings.

I hope this helps.