Re: [libreplanet-discuss] buying CDs VS Digital Downloads

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] buying CDs VS Digital Downloads
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 19:25:38 -0600

Cardoza, Michael wrote:
Where as digital downloads almost always come in a format that is
non-free, if they come in a format that is free you either need non-free
software to download them, or at the least non-free java script to
download them. In the case of amazon if something happens to your files
you need to download the songs individually as there is no Software for
GNU/Linux (that I am aware of) that can download a whole album.

There are sources that distribute DRM-free recordings that work excellently with free software. Magnatune.com, for instance, will sell you unlimited access to their library in a variety of formats (including FLAC) for a one-time fee and they offer an SQLite database which catalogs all of their current recordings at http://he3.magnatune.com/info/sqlite_magnatune.db.gz. It's not hard to write a program to download the latest database, figure out which recordings are new to you, and download them all with free software. As far as I know there are no region restrictions used to prohibit downloading from magnatune.com. There is a note about sharing the recordings as well (see http://blog.magnatune.com/2004/04/peertopeer_netw.html although the complete terms are not entirely clear to me).

I imagine there are other comparable sources of media out there that work similarly.