Re: [libreplanet-discuss] buying CDs VS Digital Downloads

From: Tobias Platen
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] buying CDs VS Digital Downloads
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 18:39:19 +0100

On 02/19/2016 05:27 PM, Fabio Pesari wrote:
On 02/19/2016 04:11 PM, Cardoza, Michael wrote:
So I know I am probably beating a dead horse at this point. What are
peoples opinions on this age old topic?

For now CDs are tolerable, even though we should try to support libre
music. What happens when the last working physical copy of a rare album
stops working?

In Italy there is a law that allows making _personal_ copies of media:
that's why external drives cost more here, as we actually have to pay a
"potential pirate" tax, which is just ridiculous. I don't know if this
law applies to digital media, as they are seen as rented rather than
bought, or if it allows breaking DRM, but in any case this law was
written in 1941 by the Mussolini government.

As much as I'd like to listen to Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Black Sabbath
all the time, I realized that I don't want to be subject to whatever DRM
scheme they come up with 50 years from now and I don't want to engage in
unauthorized copying either, so I accepted that the best thing I can do
right now is enjoy whatever music I come across legally and for the
rest, listen to things that are free as in freedom.

Liking anything culturally nonfree this days is a recipe for becoming
proprietary software users in the future, and I would honestly rather
listen to some New Age crap made in LMMS than have to depend on DRM to
be able to listen to "real" music for the rest of my life.

I still buy CDs, because you can pay them anonymously using cash in an ethical way (no DRM or EULA). I also buy music from artists who burn their own CDs.

In most cases these artists are Vocaloid Producers, so they are giving up their freedom. Many of them promote their music on SoundCloud, which I avoid because of non-free javascript. Instead I use GNU MediaGoblin for publishing my works. If I have a CD, I will create copies in the Ogg Vorbis format. I also support free software replacements for Vocaloid, and publish my own music in unencumbered formats.

I avoid making unauthorized copies of software and music, instead I often download public domain music in computer readable sourcecode form. These are often MIDI files that one can edit using free software. I also listen a lot to DRM free artists that permit sharing such as Jonathan Coulton and Cécile Corbel whose songs are often remixed by less known artists inside the anime scene.

When artists use free software for making music, some of them release raw multitrack recordings under free licences, making remixes more easy. But I do not insist on free non-functional works such as soundfonts for making music. However when I publish my own soundfonts I never use a non-free license.

--
Sent from my Libreboot X200