[libreplanet-discuss] Encouraging libraries to use free software

From: Esteban Enrique
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Encouraging libraries to use free software
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:56:29 -0500

I am a Boston resident and I love to visit the Boston Public Library,
the first public library in the United States. It has been my
home recently since it is very quiet and has a great atmosphere. But
more importantly, this is a place for the public to go and share books
with each other and the library and to use technology like computers.

However, I have noticed that all of the computers at this library (and
all the other library branches as well) are using Microsoft products,
such is Windows and Internet Explorer. This must change. The library, of
all public places in society, must be a place of sharing, collaboration
and freedom. This must be a place where one can freely use a computer
without worrying about how programs are mistreating them. By using
Microsoft products (and other proprietary products I am sure), not only
is the BPL probably spending loads of money on licenses, but they are
sharing in the culture of dependence on a large software corporation.

Freeing society from the dependency on proprietary software is the
biggest reason that I am fighting for free software. If we start at our
libraries, we will reach schools eventually. I think the library is the
best place to try out the ideas of free software in society.

Now, I know I am not the first one to realize this; the fsf has been at
this for three decades now. However, we need to start organizing groups
to free our public spaces from the malicious features of
Microsoft. Though I truly believe the four software freedoms are
essential, the issue with education and libraries is an issue of forcing
dependency on non-free software and, in the case of libraries, an issue
of being hypocritical.

What can we do to organize groups who are willing to get fired up about
this issue and actually find solutions and negotiate with libraries (and
other public places)?

-Esteban Enrique