Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software Games for babies

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software Games for babies
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:32:14 +0100

On 02/17/2016 01:14 AM, Lori Nagel wrote:
>  Hi, I have a just turned 2 year old and I would like to find some simple
> press any key game geared for babies and young toddlers that are free (as in
> freedom) software.  I tried a web search but I've only seen things geared for
> older children.  My son likes to press keys and see what happens but some of
> the other stuff is just a bit to advanced for him yet.

Hello Lori,

GCompris includes many such games, especially under the "Discover the
Computer" category:

https://gcompris.net/screenshots/root.jpg

It's the icon on the top left, the cat holding the keyboard. The one
below, the penguin surrounded by colored cogs, also contains activities
appropriate for your child.

Then there is PySyCache, which ships with several games:

http://www.pysycache.org/web/en/menu-overview.html

And, a bit more challenging, Tux Typing:

https://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org/tuxtype/index.php

I found all of those here:

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Category/Education/elementary

Additionally, even if you aren't a programmer, you might be able to
easily create such games for your child yourself without needing to
program (visually) by using Gdevelop:

http://compilgames.net/

or Scratch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_%28programming_language%29

If there is a specific game you need, just describe it on this list and
I'll try to make it (but keep in mind that my graphics skills aren't
very good!).