Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsin

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsing nonfree cultural works?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 09:29:39 -0800

On 02/12/2016 09:24 AM, Tobias Platen wrote:

> Copyleft requires that the exact license text is passed to all readers
> and users. One can still modify the GPL, but that modified licence needs
> a different name, as it is not the original work. Even if the GPL were
> not copyrighted, as laws and other legal publications are, only the
> version published by the Free Software Foundation is valid if properly
> marked. I think copyright should be abolished and replaced with a legal
> copyleft that protects software freedoms. The GPL would then be obsolete
> (and in the public domain).

In order to make the GPL obsolete we need the combination of *three*
legal changes:

1. abolish patent and copyright law
2. prohibit DRM
3. mandate source release for all published works

I regularly state that those three are precisely my personal wish. I
think number 1 alone would be positive enough to be worthwhile, but I
completely respect the concerns that we might have serious problems
unless we get all three together.