Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsin

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsing nonfree cultural works?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:23:50 -0500

Disclaimer: I'm a volunteer for the GPL Compliance Lab, but I am not
speaking as an FSF volunteer or for the FSF in any way, shape or
form. I'm just speaking as me: Yoni.

As Aaron points out, I think that the respective party's positions on
the matter are already well established and don't need to be repeated.

My opinion is that for the matter to go forward, the FSF invite the
creation of a Libreplanet group called the Free Culture Taskforce (or
something). This group will consist of free culture advocates who feel
passionate about converting FSF materials to free culture licenses.

The taskforce can then identify a number of published FSF works to
convert to a free culture license and present those to the FSF (probably
in the form of a patch the public cvs of the FSF's website, and probably
not the Free Software Definition to begin with).

The taskforce will then go on to promote the (re)mixing of those
works. At the end of, say, half a year, the FSF will be able to see in a
completely concrete way how releasing those works under a different
benefited them and get the taskforce to concentrate on the next set of
works.

This solution lets the FSF people continue their primary goal; the one
we are all donating to them to get on with, and at the same time lets
the people passionate about remixing and distributing free culture do
what they want to do most.