Re: [libreplanet-discuss] WTFPL Worse License Ever?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] WTFPL Worse License Ever?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:43:11 -0500

Alexander Berntsen <alexander@plaimi.net> writes:

> On 21/12/15 16:54, Yoni Rabkin wrote:
>> But as I said before, try to (as I have) to explain these jokes at
>> your company to a room of people who are hostile and/or ignorant
>> of free software and the joke loses its shine really fast.
> Fuck those people.

Really? Why did you even bother writing that? How is that helpful? I
guess it provides you with some kind of catharsis, but I don't know you.

>> Moreover, people from the free software community who want to use
>> software licensed under a joke license have to stop short and
>> start searching around to see if it is even a valid license. So
>> this joke ends up taking up people's time and effort. Finally,
>> license proliferation is a real problem:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_proliferation
> It was never meant to be used for any actually useful software. If
> someone use a joke licence for their proper software, that's on them.

The wtfpl site (http://www.wtfpl.net/showcase/) showcases useful
software licensed under the terms of the license and asks: "Know some
important or noteworthy work using the WTFPL? Let us know in the
comments!". Then they go on to defend the validity of the wtfpl as a
license in the FAQ entry: "Is the WTFPL a valid license?". So I don't
understand where you get that impression.