Re: [libreplanet-discuss] rewards for crowdfunding Free Software project

From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] rewards for crowdfunding Free Software projects
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 18:41:54 +0000

El 20 de diciembre de 2015 18:15:59 GMT+00:00, Daniel Pocock
<daniel@pocock.pro> escribió:

>A lot of crowdfunding sites emphasize giving some rewards back to
>donors.
>
>While most developers would rather just get on with coding, the
>rewards,
>small things like T-shirts and bigger things too, are hard to avoid.
>
>Has anybody looked at this in detail?  Does anybody have any ideas
>about
>what type of strategy to use with rewards, especially for software
>projects?

I had a thank you mention in the code(I think?), a postcard and a T-Shirt from
gnumediagoblin. I think that was equivalent to 3 different levels, each higher
in price. I think for larger donations there was even limited edition
Sculptures.

I don't know if that answers the question.

>Obviously, the best reward is finishing the project itself.  Unlike
>other types of crowdfunding projects, software projects typically end
>up
>open sourcing everything they produce so everybody is automatically
>getting a copy of that work, regardless of how much money they
>contributed or any other rewards that entitles them too.  This is a big
>distinction from projects like films or comic books or hardware
>products
>funded by crowdsourcing.

gnuMediaGoblin is still going. But I don't think it will be finished as there
is a lot of things being added to it.

--
RichmondMakerlabs.uk
Ham United Group