Re: [libreplanet-discuss] WTFPL Worse License Ever?

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] WTFPL Worse License Ever?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 12:43:53 +0100

From https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#WTFPL

WTFPL, Version 2 (#WTFPL)

This is a lax permissive non-copyleft free software license, compatible with the GNU GPL.

We do not recommend this license. If you want a lax permissive license for a small program, we recommend the X11 license. A larger program usually ought to be copyleft; but if you are set on using a lax permissive license for one, we recommend the Apache 2.0 license since it protects users from patent treachery.

On 2015-12-18 12:39, Julien Kyou wrote:
This pisses me off "Choose Freedom." "Probably the best license out there"

>Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>
>
>Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long as the name is changed.
>
>>meaning only this document not the licensed materials
>
>DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE TERMS AND >CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION
>
>0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.
>>so basically closing the source is ok?

wtfpl.net

I just learned of the existence of this licenses 30 minutes ago, so sorry if its not news.