Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Best e-reader for free software compatibility

From: Christopher M. Hobbs
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Best e-reader for free software compatibility
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 07:52:53 -0600

Hello, Koz!

If it doesn't have to be e-ink, there are a couple of tablets supported
by the Replicant project.  One of those with FBReader may do the
trick.  It's not entirely user-friendly, though.

FBReader has a "Network Library" that'll search various sites for DRM
free books and you can add your own ePub (and maybe even Kindle
friendly formats).  It's not as slick as Amazon's book shopping
interfaces.

I don't know if WiFi works on the tablets supported by Replicant but
binary blobs can be installed.  Without WiFi, your mother would have to
find her .ePub, .pdf, or maybe .mobi books online and then transfer
them to the device via USB.

Managing a large eBook library is pretty simple with Calibre
(available in the Trisquel repos) and I think it can push books in your
collection to a USB storage device (the tablet).  Calibre is cross
platform so it can be used if she is locked into a proprietary OS.

If she used Calibre (and assuming it syncs, which I think it does...),
she could simply collect her books in a directory, let Calibre sort
them, plug in her Replicant based tablet, sync the books, unplug it,
and be all set.

Using OpenInkPot is still possible but one needs to acquire a
compatible e-ink device, load the OS, and you still wouldn't have
any sort of network access so the process would be the same.  Keep in
mind OpenInkPot is no longer in development.

I hope that helps.  I wish the state of this sort of thing were
different.

Happy Hacking!
cmh

PS - I have just confirmed that Calibre can sync to a plethora of
devices.  It also has some sort of "online" syncing option.