Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm free software.
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 04:45:09 -0200

Hello, Logan!

Em Fri, 30 Oct 2015 22:44:26 -0400
Logan Streondj <streondj@gmail.com> escreveu:

> In terms of repositories, currently the best and most available one
> is sourceforge.net.  They release their server code under an Apache
> license.

Although that's a desirable feature, it's not essential as far as the
GNU ethical repository criteria is concerned.  It's the A1 criterion
(excellent grade), meaning that a repository can be "good enough to
recommend" without satisfying it.

For now, the only source code hosting site I can recommend is GNU
Savannah[0].

> Sure they try to make money through advertising, But as a lifetime
> dedicated libreware developer, I think making more with libre
> software is very good.

Making money with free software is good, but SourceForge has some
fundamental problems in respect to the GNU criteria.  Particularly, it
fails the basic C0 and C2 criteria.  I hope we can publish its (already
done) evaluation soon.

> I wouldn't be surprised if Sourceforge had one of the highest RYF
> ratings.

Just want to clarify that FSF's RYF[1] certification is targeted at
hardware manufacturers, while the GNU ethical repository criteria[2]
is targeted at source code hosting sites.  They have very different
approaches, concerns and designs.  As one would expect, aside from
ensuring computer users' freedom in a broad sense and being developed
by the same organization, they are completely unrelated.

Footnotes:
[0] http://savannah.gnu.org/
[1] http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html

--
 88888  FFFFF Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
 8   8  F     http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/

- GNU ccd2cue maintainer
- GNU Savannah hacker
- GNU webmaster
- GNU audio and video maintainer
- GNU ethical repository criteria maintainer
- GNU web translation team coordinator (Brazilian Portuguese)
- DMOZ free software editor (Portuguese)
- UFU FAMAT PET member
- SDF Public Access UNIX System ARPA member
- Riseup user and supporter

Please, support my work: http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/funding.html

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.