Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only

From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm free software.
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 09:20:49 +0000

El 31 de octubre de 2015 02:44:26 GMT+00:00, Logan Streondj
<streondj@gmail.com> escribió:
>I think having a rating system is a great idea.
>It allows for projects to know how they can improve their score.
>Really gameifies playing along with RYF.
>
>In terms of repositories, currently the best and most available one is
>sourceforge.net
>They release their server code under an Apache license.
>
>Sure they try to make money through advertising,
>But as a lifetime dedicated libreware developer,
>I think making more with libre software is very good.
>
>I wouldn't be surprised if Sourceforge had one of the highest RYF
>ratings.
>
>Libre,
>Logan
>

>On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Thomas HARDING
><tom@thomas-harding.name>
>wrote:
>
>> On 30/10/2015 05:08, arthur_torrey@comcast.net wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not surprised that you don't know of cases where the labeling
>>> question has been a deciding factor, since given the RYF
>restrictions I'd
>>> consider a manufacturer that wanted to be able to sell to Windows
>users to
>>> be crazy to even apply....  They would get to the page and see that
>it
>>> wouldn't do them any good.....
>>>
>>> I'm not saying that RYF has to change, though I think it should... I
>am
>>> saying that we need a NON-DISCRIMINATORY 'Runs on GNU/Linux' badge
>program
>>> with logos that can be put on products NEXT to the 'Runs on other
>stuff'
>>> badges!
>>>
>>> ART
>>> ------------------don't
>>> Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>

>>> because of that restriction. As a hardware consumer I am HURT,
>because
>Free
>gets
>>>>

>>> FWIW, that's not quite what that criterion says. Compatibility
>labeling
>>> for proprietary OSes is allowed under RYF. ("However, we don't
>object to
>>> clear factual statements informing the user that the product also
>works
>>> with specific proprietary operating systems.") What's not allowed is
>>> promotional labeling for proprietary OSes, which makes sense, given
>the
>>> purposes of the program.
>>>
>>> I also know of no cases where this has been a deciding factor in
>>> certification.
>>>

>> [I'm a bit puzzled by that discussion, and sick for a week, so if
>missed
>> something please forgive... last but not least I'm not fluent
>> in English]
>>
>> So,
>>
>> Maybe making an obligation to label "Fully Works with genuine
>GNU/linux,
>> without proprietary kernel blobs nor other proprietary [anything]"

> [...]

I think savannah uses the same in the background. It has a filter system to
insure the code you upload to a repo is libre.
This will be the next repo I use. I hope I make the cut.
After a couple of HDD failures I don't trust myself to host my own.

--
RichmondMakerlabs.uk
Ham United Group