Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Suggestions for a coding club that is just sta

From: brendanpmurray
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Suggestions for a coding club that is just starting?
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:28:11 +0000

I strongly recommend that you start a CoderDojo - its ethos is opensource (all the docs, samples, code, etc are all free), it's all driven by volunteers (free) and there's a worldwide network of people willing to help (also free). I have been involved for the past few years and the kids learn a lot!

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 at 19:18 Thomas HARDING <tom@thomas-harding.name> wrote:

Le 17/09/2015 17:10, Pen-Yuan Hsing a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> First of all, thanks everyone for your help several weeks ago on the
> Freeing of a scientific software I mentioned here. I have a couple
> follow up questions which I plan to post in another message, but for
> now there is another issue.
>
> I learned that a teacher in a secondary school in my town is starting
> a coding club for their students (probably teenagers), and they're
> looking for information or other direct support regarding how to start
> it. Since this coding club is just starting, I think this is a great
> opportunity to include in their agenda the concept of Free Software.
>
> I am not an active coder myself, but care a lot about Free Software,
> and I want to do what I can to make sure this club goes in the "right
> direction". However, I have zero experience doing this. Do folks here
> have ideas, or better yet links to existing
> websites/information/teaching plans that are appropriate for this? I
> plan to email the lead teacher soon about the important of Free
> Software in their club, and would appreciate anything you can
> provide!! I think the more we can give the teacher the better. Thanks!!

[having only little skills in English, please point any impairing
mistake (I'm French)]

Fortunately, coding is one of the most outstanding features given by
Free Software, not only by design but by lang::fr::nature :)

That said, first question is not "what do you want to code" but "what do
you need needing coding": first step to learn for coding is to something
simple which *you want to exists but can't find*, or, at option, reallly
do not already exists, or, more, already exists but do not fit
*perfectly* *your* needs.

My opinion is: some tools always exists but never fit perfectly your needs.

Just take the ways to rotate a screen and the way and conditions *you
think* a screen should rotate. You have a project, scalable from a bash
alias to a C project (Ada would work too if you want for contracts),
with any kind of programming model and typed level.

You'll also want the screen rotates from a web interface, authenticated
and with no [fakes?] to a complete classroom if your goal is to say
"now, we start to read text displayed vertically as a book, please
rotate your screen counerclockwise... No Allan, *counter*clockwise, the
goal is not to read head top-bottom").

While you can do almost anything with free software with excerpt for (at
time) quantic crypto break and low cost blu-ray tray scrambled video
reading, anyone in the crew needs only whiches :-)