Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Suggestions for a coding club that is just sta

From: Thomas HARDING
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Suggestions for a coding club that is just starting?
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 20:18:20 +0200

Le 17/09/2015 17:10, Pen-Yuan Hsing a écrit :
Hello,

First of all, thanks everyone for your help several weeks ago on the Freeing of a scientific software I mentioned here. I have a couple follow up questions which I plan to post in another message, but for now there is another issue.

I learned that a teacher in a secondary school in my town is starting a coding club for their students (probably teenagers), and they're looking for information or other direct support regarding how to start it. Since this coding club is just starting, I think this is a great opportunity to include in their agenda the concept of Free Software.

I am not an active coder myself, but care a lot about Free Software, and I want to do what I can to make sure this club goes in the "right direction". However, I have zero experience doing this. Do folks here have ideas, or better yet links to existing websites/information/teaching plans that are appropriate for this? I plan to email the lead teacher soon about the important of Free Software in their club, and would appreciate anything you can provide!! I think the more we can give the teacher the better. Thanks!!

[having only little skills in English, please point any impairing mistake (I'm French)]

Fortunately, coding is one of the most outstanding features given by Free Software, not only by design but by lang::fr::nature :)

That said, first question is not "what do you want to code" but "what do you need needing coding": first step to learn for coding is to something simple which *you want to exists but can't find*, or, at option, reallly do not already exists, or, more, already exists but do not fit *perfectly* *your* needs.

My opinion is: some tools always exists but never fit perfectly your needs.

Just take the ways to rotate a screen and the way and conditions *you think* a screen should rotate. You have a project, scalable from a bash alias to a C project (Ada would work too if you want for contracts), with any kind of programming model and typed level.

You'll also want the screen rotates from a web interface, authenticated and with no [fakes?] to a complete classroom if your goal is to say "now, we start to read text displayed vertically as a book, please rotate your screen counerclockwise... No Allan, *counter*clockwise, the goal is not to read head top-bottom").

While you can do almost anything with free software with excerpt for (at time) quantic crypto break and low cost blu-ray tray scrambled video reading, anyone in the crew needs only whiches :-)