Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives]

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives]
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 06:58:20 -0400

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 07:09:50PM -0400, Yoni Rabkin wrote:

>     Software runs the same on every equivalent computer. Computers are
> not unique;

I have to disagree with you there,  computers are in fact
unique, as unique as any physical thing, you will never find a
rock that is idential to another rock, nor a computer that is
idential to another one.  At the very least, the MAC address is
different, but in detail, the contents of each chip is also
different, since with the fine-grained architectures nowadays
there are various fail-safes since it's expected there will be
some failures in each chip, so they are re-routed in various
ways.

on top of that, there are different instruction-set
architectures, drivers, appendages.

> one loaded with the same software is as good as
> another.
> This isn't true of people because people are unique.

Just because a lot of computers have the same "belief system",
i.e. Linux,  doesn't mean they are the same. that would be like
saying "all christian people are the same", disregarding that
there are many distributions/denominations, and that each
person/computer has their own packages and idiosynchrasy.

also same exact software on a different computer, can still give
you different results, because of speed, drivers, dust, etc.

> These
> unique personal opinions of people matter and deserve to be heard and
> preserved as a unique representation of an unique individual; a human
> voice. To reflect this, I will be moving my personal blog from CC-BY-SA
> to a BY-ND license, namely:
> [https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/]

well I guess self-neutering is a personal choice.
if it has an ND license then it can only be heard for a short
period of time, the time frame in which people still speak that
particular dialect,  after that only learnde scholarans, that
specialize in archaic forms of speech would be able to read it,
such as those that fluently read chaucer or even shakespeare in
the original.