Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 21:16:12 +0100

>> There are, also, too many others who know only
>> "Open Source". We need to let people know about "philosophy" behind
>the
>> GNU Project, without misrepresentation.
>
>If the Bible had an ND clause, then it would have never gotten
>past Judaism, and may have been lost to even Hebrews after the
>diaspora, when many of them forgot how to speak Hebrew.
>
>Sure maybe there was some risk in translating the bible to
>Greek, Latin, or English,  but it did make it more accessible,
>by now, most people in the world know about it,
>it having been translated to 6,000+ languages.

Not going one way or the other here but...

I feel it is better example is to use the Greek Philosophy that was lost in
original language but was saved thanks to the arab thirst for knowledge in the
(not so dark for some) middle ages [1]. Still today (or at least 12 years ago),
Nicomacean Ethics[citation needed] has some editions that do not express the
true meaning because they go from original Arab language to language A and
later to language B and finally language C. If you leave it in public domain
(with freedom distribution) this kind of thing happens, I guess. Rather than
directly from Arab language where one would guess is closer to the original
meaning.

[1] sorry, no reference as I am only working from memory of what  my ethics
teacher told me 12 years ago. I could have miss understood it and I am
transtating from my spanish memory.