Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 09:14:11 -0500

On Friday 22 May 2015, rysiek wrote:
> > Go ahead and publish your translation.  I can't speak for GNU but I
> > imagine the worst thing that would happen to you is that you will be told
> > to take it down.  In the best case, you will get some corrections.  That
> > seems to be how GNU deals with infringement.
>
> I can't. That would be breaking the law. If I infringed upon copyrights of
> the FSF, I would be a hypocrite, as I am active against other forms of
> copyright infringement of, say, GNU GPL.
>
> This also makes you a hypocrite. If it's not okay for the BigCo Ltd. to
> infrigne upon GNU GPL, how does that make it okay to infringe (or
> suggesting to do so!) upon FSF's -ND license?

Laws should follow morals rather than the other way around.  I'm willing to
break laws if it's the right thing to do and I'm willing to live with the
punishment.  By the same token, I expect big companies like Sony to also be
punished more severely for larger infringements.  I know that's not really
the case, but I won't let their criminal behavior reduce my demands for
justice.

I don't know how Polish law works, but you would not have much to fear in the
US if you published a translation of GNU documents.

> can you [show] at least one instance where -ND stopped a
> dishonest translation?

No, but there is an easy to observe pattern of publishers missrepresenting GNU
and the FSF by all means at their disposal.  Removing this protection would
encourage them to violate the public that way too.

> I'd love to sponsor some for you. Where should I send your red boxers to?

As much as I'd enjoy your underwear, I'd rather you gave the money to the FSF
or your hackerspace.